Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Who is Rosenbaum?

"I am Rosenbaum till the audience sees me as something else."
-Quoting myself in my dream where I am a theater director.

I remember the phrase so clearly and audibly except it's coming from my mouth. I have so much conviction and gravitas that everyone listens. In my dream, I seemed to be someone of importance.



We are in a very organic and ancient dome, something Gaudi would have made. It is a theater and sound reaches every corner.

I am a few stories up on the 4th or fifth ring of wooden slats. The theater doesn't have the usual seats. The seats are the wooden slats pierced against the concrete. Similar to the last Indiana Jones movie where Indie struggles to climb these wooden steps that recede into the walls. Its the closest I can describe these things that seemed to defy gravity. Some of the slats are supported by wires that reach the ceiling. When I walk on them they wobble, the sensation is like being on a suspension bridge or hanging bridge.



We are staging a play. I'm screaming at the top of my lungs at the actors below in Spanish. My actors are a mixed lot of Mexicans, Spaniards, and Latin Americans. Most don't get along very well.

Julia approaches me at the fifth storey and in spanish, she tells me she's glad I'm doing this. But my attention is on my son, 2 meters away from me, who is seated precariously at the edge of the wooden slats.

I tell Julia the producers saw my video of the play and they liked it. She asks me what's the play about? I tell her it's my rendition of Don Quixote de la Mancha.

My son squirms.I reach for my son again, grabbing his shirt quickly to make sure he doesn't fall. He is 4 years old, but he just sits there calmly, without fear of falling.

The Mexicans and Argentinians get impatient for direction on their lines. Julia starts a shouting match with the Mexicans below. I shout at them, "I am Rosenbaum till the audience sees me as something else." They all become quiet and listen.

---

I feel empowered in this dream, maybe because I'm doing what I like and working in a very demanding creative field which in real life I struggle to get jobs into.

Well, again... I feel so empowered in this dream, I remember the sensation clearly, albeit with the nagging fear of suddenly falling or my son suddenly falling away. That was the only sense of dread that conflicted with the whole thing. Otherwise, I very much enjoyed having a sense of gravitas.

No comments: